Monday, October 19, 2009

Apples, Pumpkins, and Harvest (hopefully!)

Fall is my season. I was born in the fall, and I have the best memories from growing up - meals in the field with my daddy, riding in the combine while reading a Nancy Drew book, the list goes on. Now, I've got my own little farmer that I'm fortunate to raise the way both his daddy and I were raised. And it's a challenge we're ready for...


So far this fall, the weather has been less than perfect for farming purposed. In fact, many of the old timers can't recall a year when they haven't been in the field by October 19th. And here are, with only a 100 bushel in the truck. So, no harvest pics yet - hopefully they'll be soon to follow.


Instead, Wyatt and I have gone both apple and pumpkin picking. The apples were more of a hit, because you can eat as you go, and who doesn't love that?? Here's a couple of my favorites from the day...



Pumpkin picking wasn't quite as fun - weather was downright gloomy. Eckert's Farm is just down the road from us, and though they've gotten almost too big in the last few years, I have to admit that they do put on a good show for the kids. Not only do you get to pick your pumpkins, but they have a little program beforehand that tells how they plant the pumpkins, what it takes to make them grow - those little minds just soak it right up. Have you ever heard a bunch of little voices screaming "pollination!!" Cutest thing ever! We didn't get to go out in the field, but they had a lot of pumpkins already picked to choose from - only caveat? They could choose whatever pumpkin they wanted, but they had to carry it themselves. Sneaky, sneaky... this next one was Wyatt's face when I told him the rules...



Wasn't thrilled with his pumpkin, but we still had a great time. Hopefully I'll post sooner rather than later with some good harvest news!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Love this post! PS I loved Nancy too!